For Lilyann: Second Thoughts from a First-Time DadPosted: October 13, 2010
After ten months of expectancy, our precious daughter and my new creative inspiration, Lilyann, was born on September 23, 2010, the Year of the Tiger.
My first thoughts were of joy, excitement, and love.
On this 20th day of my newborn’s life, I share my second thoughts.
My Second Thoughts
1. Pink is the new blue.
2. Disney and Pixar, welcome to my world.
3. Shopping list: crayons and colorful magnets for the refrigerator art. Better: the walls are her canvas (after a quick coat of Idea Paint).
4. Toys R Me.
5. Sure, I love Pandas. Bring them on.
6. Her questions. My answers. Say hello to my little friends: Google and Wikipedia.
7. As a matter of fact, I do do do naps.
8. One line crossed off my bucket list. Ten lines added.
9. To see the world thru Lily’s eyes, recreates my life as one big surprise.
10. Yes, honey. You do get your looks from your mom. Though your brains are from me . . . er . . . I mean from her, too.
11. ♫ Yellow Submarine, Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da, All You Need is Love, Octopus’s Garden, Twist and Shout.♫ Can you say Beatles karaoke?
12. But dear, one is never too young for an online presence and registration for personal branding: GoDaddy, Twitter, Facebook, and YouTube, here I come.
13. Secret for a happy and simple life: sleep, cry, feed, burp, poop. Repeat. All else good in life is gravy.
14. Organic baby foods, Tooth Fairy, Ballerina lessons, Microbiology textbooks, study abroad . . . no rest for the weary. Early retirement is for wimps.
15. Double happiness: she can learn Chinese, and then teach it to me. Gao xing!
16. Somewhere over the rainbow? I cannot get there from here. However, I will check Google Maps.
17. Dr. Seuss. Funny voices. Enough said.
18. My pre-marriage Grateful Dead Bears collection can finally come out of the closet. Star Wars action figures, no freedom for you. Yet.
19. Just call me the Mad Hatter and yes, I do drink imaginary tea.
20. I will have to set a good example. Damn Darn I will have to set a good example.
21. College in the 70s. Disco Daddy in the 10s.
22. Her curiosity is my curiosity.
23. Besides thinking outside the box, she can play with the box. Hmm, I may be on to something here. Boxes are cheaper than toys.
24. You are never too old to enjoy the Wizard of Oz. Again. Again. And, again.
25. Did someone say: all natural cookies and unsweetened soymilk? My wife did.
26. Making a list and checking it thrice. Gotta get rid of the naughty and vice.
27. Please don’t make me watch Barney. Let’s check out the nice dinosaurs on the Discovery Channel. Okay, sweetie?
28. Booya! Coloring outside the lines is good again!
You make me want to be a better and more human creative being.
You create me.
“Children make you want to start life over.” ~ Muhammad Ali
“While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is all about.” ~ Angela Schwindt
“Children are the hands by which we take hold of heaven.” ~ Henry Ward Beecher
“In every real man a child is hidden that wants to play.” ~ Friedrich Nietzsche